The most important relationship of them all:
The one with your children!
The maternal bond is one that nothing can compare to. I believe the better the relationship is with the child; the better and easier parenting and upbringing will be. How I strengthen my relationship with my daughters is knowing their love language. Just because we feel most loved a certain way doesn’t mean that works for our children.
Here are the 5 love languages and some ways you can fill your little one’s love tank:
- Physical touch could be cuddling on the couch watching a movie, scratching their back or holding hands
- Acts of service examples are helping them clean their rooms, tucking them into bed at night, brushing teeth together or bringing them something to drink
- Words of affirmation could be telling them how much you love them, actively listening to them (not being on the phone and looking at them) and slipping a love letter in their lunchbox.
- Quality time examples could be playing dolls, taking them out to dinner/ice cream just the two of you or doing a craft together
- Gifts could be giving a special rock flower or shell, giving a thoughtful gift on an ordinary day or giving them a craft or picture you made
Knowing your child’s love language takes some real engaging with them or really understanding when they feel most loved. (Because…every mama wants their kids to feel most loved!) My daughter Kylee’s love languages are getting to spend quality time with her Mommy and receiving gifts. I know this because she always wants me to play with her dolls or build Legos and she loves receiving gifts. (I used to think that it was bad that I thought that, but there are so many other ways to fill her love tank up rather than just giving a toy each time I go to the store.) For my younger daughter Romee, hers would be physical touch because she loves to cuddle and be held. Since she is only two, she may develop other ways she feels most loved, so I’ll be on the lookout for that.
Mommies, I promise when you figure out your children’s love language, you will have a much better relationship with them!
Xxxx Your Modern Mommy